Friday, November 2, 2012

Niko gets his first car: red civic honda 94

 It's my son's 18th birthday. My 15-year old is asleep in his bed.  Since I wake up early and they have opposite schedules, there's always someone awake. For now, Reggie, short for Reggio Emil--named by his father for the city in Italy that reminded him of Redlands CA where he was born in the community hospital.

Niko, short for Monico, was born September 17, 1994 which is the birth date for the OWS movement and for William Carlos Williams, a poet whose work I have researched with the intent of publishing a book or even starting an institute.  With the colleagues and friends I have, we might one day even aspire to that, a School of William Carlos Williams. I don't see why not.

I get up and do what I do everything: I ask myself my question of the day. All joking aside, I am just like any other person, someone who wakes each day with a feeling of a new try at life. Today is my son's 18th birthday! This is a day that means everything to me, if everything could ever be amassed into one thing, it could be held in the bodies of my children. Much like any other mother or parent, our loved ones are no burden to us. In fact, they are a blessing, a gift, to us, to themselves and to others.

Upon embrace of the early morning tender heat, I feel my heart extend as though from one horizon to all of them. I feel the gratitude of my young son's adulthood. Let it be as filled with the beauty of the world that I see today in my entire being as it's embodied and reflected on the wide surface of the earth. If it were a prayer that's what it would say.

I jump in the car for some Starbuck's Garey and Mission. As I do so, I see a ruby red car with a for sale sign on it and I make my way over to check it out.  I park and cross the street then punch the telephone number into my cell.  I peer inside the windows without any reluctance. I want this car for my son.  For it seemed like I was back in my early days with him when I might buy him a Transformer on shopping trips to Toys R Us.

I realize I have a credit card with just the amount of money it costs: $2000.00.  Oscar, the young man who sold it to me needed an automatic for his wife and though he loved his car, she could not drive it as it was a standard stick.  I was so happy to find it was mechanically perfect, had a few little things with the body, needs a new motor in the driver's side window switch, but it uses very little gas and it's a STANDARD.  Niko will love it!  He will come to adore it as a machine. A machine of all things and it's red after all.

When he turned 18, I surged with the joy that my son whose life was taking on a new level of responsibility and independence that I knew he was eager to do Next is Reggio turning 16 in February. Two pivotal ages, 16 and 18, my boys are everything that could ever exist contained inside two bodies.  And I am just like any other mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment